22 December, 2006

"Absolutely we're winning."


"The recent report on retail sales shows a strong beginning to the holiday shopping season across the country. And I encourage you all to go shopping more."
George W. Bush

Mr. Bush, at a press conference yesterday:

Q Mr. President, less than two months ago at the end of one of the bloodiest months in the war, you said, "Absolutely we're winning." Yesterday you said, "We're not winning, we're not losing." Why did you drop your confident assertion about winning?

THE PRESIDENT: My comments -- the first comment was done in this spirit: I believe that we're going to win; I believe that -- and by the way, if I didn't think that, I wouldn't have our troops there. That's what you got to know. We're going to succeed. My comments yesterday reflected the fact that we're not succeeding nearly as fast as I wanted when I said it at the time..."



No comments: