03 December, 2006

The fabulous dinner


My wife and I had a debate about the cost of the wine I was to purchase for the evening's meal. I said "It doesn't matter. You're cooking it. Why waste money." "The recipe calls for Pinot Noir" she said. "Get Pinot Noir." "OK", I said. "But believe me it's just a waste of money." "Pick out a nice label", she said.
I buy wine according to the label design. You're going to have to look at the bottle, so why not have something aesthetically appealing. I love the label of the Red Bicycle (bicyclette), a french Merlot--I think. They didn't have a Pinot Noir so I chose a rather attractive bottle from Smoking Loon Wine Company in Napa, California. Then I found a less expensive Australian wine for myself. Kelly's Revenge is a Shiraz with a delightful fruity flavor with just a suggestion of spring rain and orchids blowing in the breeze. I'm making all that up. The label says:


"Had a hard day? Stress getting to you? Packed full of ripe berry fruit flavours, this big Shiraz is perfect at the end of a long day. Kick back, relax, forget about the pressures and take revenge with Kelly. It's all about you now. Are you up to it?"




As I was leaving the store, I noticed they had this little bar set up with Absolut vodka bottles and tiny plastic cups. A very happy young woman called out to me as I passed to ask if I'd like a little sample. Now, I can't remember the last time I had vodka or scotch or any of the stronger stuff, but heck. "Why not" I said. "It's peach flavored Absolut with peach schnapps", she said, as I turned back the wee cup.
"Peachy, isn't it?" "Yes", I replied. "Very peachy."









The coq au vin was the best I've ever eaten. Really. Probably had a lot to do with the wine. Just the aroma wafting from the kitchen as it slowly simmered while I sat pecking at this keyboard, wine glass at my elbow, and listening to death cab for cutie that my eldest boy thought I would like.







Summer Skin
He was right. I liked them well enough to go to YouTube to hear more. What's in a name.

The last time I made coq au vin, the recipe called for whole chicken pieces--I think it must have been James Beard or Julia Child--whereas the Cook's recipe uses boneless parts. Man! What a difference. Not only is the taste superb, it requires a much shorter prep time.

No comments: