19 January, 2007

Negligence, Napoleon and R.E. Lee

I've been negligent. My goal when I started this, was to write something every day. I've missed a few days recently. So, I'm not as perfect as I thought I was, or rather, was going to be. But, I already knew that. I learned it unfortunately, not too long ago. Why is it that by the time we learn many of the important lessons of life, we're almost too old for them to have any practical application? I suppose that's just the way it works out for some of us. Better late than never. And, I'm wrong that these valuable lessons don't have any practical application for the more mature amongst us. Having open heart surgery taught me many lessons and I use them all the time. I think I'm more compassionate, less critical and more patient of others, and of myself. The wheels of life turn more smoothly. Especially with my wife, and the two boys. So I guess maybe I haven't been all that negligent.

My younger guy (eleven) has been home from school all week. I took him to the doctor on Tuesday. She said it might be mono (Epstein-Barr virus), but they're testing for other things as well. It's been so warm that ticks are still up and about, so Lyme disease is a possibility. I still find ticks on the dog. We should know something more by Monday.

Anyway. A friend sent a picture yesterday that I thought you might like.



I hope they're as friendly as they appear to be.

We had the first snow of the winter this morning. Barely enough to cover the ground. It'll all be gone by noon. And, I hear all the time that there's no such thing as global warming.

This was in a Dallas paper this morning.

What killed Napoleon Bonaparte?

For Dallas pathologist, French emperor's pants size proves it wasn't poison
Dallas Morning News, Sunday, January 14, 2007


Isn't that a grabber. How can one not read the story?

Thought for today that I think came from the AP,
"Truth is not a diet but a condiment." — Christopher Darlington Morley, American journalist (1890-1957). Just be careful to enunciate clearly when you quote that at the dinner table.

Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee was born in Westmoreland County, Virginia on this day in 1807.

Wikipedia has a lot about Lee.

"When I was eleven, I had several callbacks to play Regan in The Exorcist. While I was under consideration, I developed a severe kidney infection. I wound up in the hopital for two weeks, taking me out of the running and sparing me from a life of horse worship and roller disco movies." April Winchell January 10th


I didn't know that. Did you? I did meet the woman who was Linda Blair's stand-in for the Exorcist. She got sick from being in a meat locker for so long for some scenes. Filmed somewhere on the West side of Manhattan near 10th Avenue.

No comments: