21 November, 2006

November 22, 1963

I remember that day and going to buy popcorn in a movie theatre where I was watching a very dumb movie called Mary, Mary. I thought the woman behind the counter was trying to tell me a crude joke when I asked for popcorn. "The president's been shot" she said. "Oh?" I said. "And governor Connelly too. In Dallas. I just heard it on the radio." I realized then she wasn't joking.

I left the theatre and drove towards home. A small girl's college was near a Catholic church I passed, and I saw students running towards the church, crying.

I drove from southern Viginia to Washington, D.C. that night, arriving in D.C. after midnight. I went to the little park across from the White House and stood quietly with others. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to do that, but I thought I should do something. It was about two a.m. when the grey Navy ambulance bearing the President's brought him back to the White House.

That weekend was so cold.

No comments: