20 November, 2006

Silver bells


There's a feeling in the air. And I thought I heard the sound of--I must be imagining--did you hear that? Bells? Silver bells? Can you feel it! In the air?

The plaza guys are putting up Christmas banners, and it's very cold. Feels like snow though none is predicted. Buying groceries I saw people I'd never seen before.
Strangers. People who only come out for the big one. Carts packed with chestnuts and turkeys, cans of pumpkin and evaporated milk.

And the cell phone thing is marvelous. I saw two people pushing carts with both hands, talking to themselves at full volume. At first I thought they were just ordinary folks pushed to the limits by the accelerating need to buy. Then I noticed they both had headsets and were probably just checking in with home to see if they should pick up a dozen eggs or more toilet paper. An extra six pack of Michelob for friends who might drop in unexpectedly. I admire those people. No inhibitions like me. I'd never be brave enough to do that.

A women with two cute little tots pushed me aside in produce as I was trying to find some reasonably ripe bananas, proclaiming "I only have five minutes to get through the whole store!" "Oh, I understand" I said. And why are all the bananas so green these days. I don't see the overripe bananas, perfect for banana nut bread, anymore.

People are just people after all. Just trying to put food on their families.

No comments: