19 November, 2006

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

I began reading, The Essential Holmes, Selections from the Letters, Speeches, Judicial Opinions and Other Writings of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. last night.

I was reminded of Justice Holmes the other day in a discussion about war I was having with a friend (me). My friend reminded me of a book by Holmes on his experiences during the Civil War. Holmes was a recent Harvard grad in 1861 and was eager to do his duty. He enlisted, fought bravely, was seriously wounded three times.

The book, Touched With Fire is one of the best books on the realities of war I've read.

A quote from a Memorial Day speech, delivered by Justice Holmes, May 30, 1884, at the John Sedgwick Post #4, Grand Army of the Republic, Keene, N. H.

I see another youthful lieutenant as I saw him in the Seven Days, when I looked down the line at Glendale. The officers were at the head of their companies. The advance was beginning. We caught each other's eye and saluted. When next I looked, he was gone.

I see the brother of the last--the flame of genius and daring in his face--as he rode before us into the wood of Antietam, out of which came only dead and deadly wounded men. So, a little later, he rode to his death at the head of his cavalry in the Valley.

No comments: