29 November, 2006

Thanksgiving gifts



I got out of bed on Thanksgiving. Early. As usual. Before the break of dawn.

I went for coffee and sat down to start writing.

Much to be thankful for and eager to say so.



The computer started and almost immediately broke out into a terrible clattering sound. Instinctively, I turned the thing off. The next day when I phoned Dell, the very bright and helpful young woman told me that the problem was my power supply and that I shouldn't worry because a power supply isn't expensive. And she assured me that I could exchange the bad for the good with ease. All I needed was a screwdriver. This afternoon the part came and just as the nice lady had promised, I did it all by myself. I think having the vodka and orange juice helped a lot. Joke.


The sudden loss of access to a computer made for a very quiet and peaceful few days.
I was forced to write using a pencil and pad of paper. How strange it is to see my own handwriting after, what seems like years. Very odd to watch my thoughts come to life on paper as my hand effortlessly makes all those intricate squiggly moves. Easy as falling off a bicycle.


The weather was about as good as it could be these past few days. (There is no such thing as global warming.) Perfect for walking and taking pictures.


So that's just what I did.













Thursday is our regular garbage pickup day, but because of Thanksgiving the collection company changed the day. We got this card from them on Tuesday




On Wednesday this card arrived.



On Friday, we found this in our post office box.

















Thanksgiving was a fine day. I spent last Thanksgiving in the hospital following my surprise bypass surgery. As far as hospitals go, it was OK, but it sure felt pretty good to be in my nice warm home with my family this year. Thanks.


"I'm the decider. I can bite this turkey's head off if I decide to."

No comments: